Picnic (Near) the San Diego Japanese Garden
According to an ancient Japanese proverb,”You can know ten things by learning one.” On this date, you’ll both begin learning at least 10 things about Japan starting at an authentic Japanese market where you and your date will put together a creative picnic lunch. (Be brave!) Your next stop will be Balboa Park, the setting for your picnic. Afterwards, take a leisurely stroll through the San Diego Japanese Garden. The Japanese also say…”If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty.” Just outside the garden is the spot to increase your understanding.
- WHERE: South/Balboa Park, Central SD
- VIBE: Eat & Drink, Learn, Romance, Relax, Shop
- INVESTMENT: $, $$
- WHEN: Morning, Afternoon
- HOW LONG: 2-4 hours, 4-6 hours
- MEAL: Brunch, Lunch, Picnic
- DRESS: Casual
- DOG-FRIENDLY: No
- Take some time to marvel at and pack your picnic basket with some culinary wonders at…
4240 Kearny Mesa Road
San Diego CA 92111
- Bring your loaded basket and all picnic supplies to a prime place on the grass at…
1549 El Prado
San Diego CA 92101
- After your bellies are full, pay the $8/pp admission for a romantic walk in the…
Japanese Friendship Garden
2125 Park Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92111
- Increase your understanding at…
Tea Pavilion Café
2125 Pan American Road
San Diego, CA 92101
ICING ON THE DATE:
- Expand your horizons even more and bring a book of Japanese Haiku poetry to read inside the garden or during your picnic.
- Mitsuwa Market accepts CASH ONLY. In case you forget, there is an (expensive) ATM in the store.
- Sorry, but no food or beverage is allowed inside the Japanese Friendship Garden.
- Be sure to check the Japanese Friendship Garden calendar for the option of timing your date with a tour, special event, class or exhibition. This is a MUST do in cherry blossom season (as long as you don’t mind some crowds)!
- Don’t miss the Cherry Sakura tea at the Tea Pavilion!