NOTE: If you try and go on this date on any day, but a Saturday, to Mercato you will NOT go.
Italians have an uncanny ability to take something ordinary and turn it into a moan-inducing treasure. San Diego’s Italians did this with their Little Italy farmers market. Every Saturday, several blocks are transformed into a European “mercato” that’s capable of making even a grown man moan (at least once). How about a salted dark chocolate caramel? Or, some cool barware made from craft beer bottles? And, of course, piles of photographable produce. Keep mental track of your favorite samplings so you can go back and create the perfect picnic meal. End the date up the street with a cup of Giuseppe and a delish gelato!
- WHERE: Little Italy
- VIBE: Eat & Drink, Shop
- INVESTMENT: $, $$
- WHEN: Morning, Afternoon
- HOW LONG: 0-2 hours, 2-4 hours
- MEAL: Snack, Lunch
- DRESS: Casual
- DOG-FRIENDLY: Yes
- Commence moaning at…
Little Italy Farmers Market (Mercato)
Date & India Streets, San Diego, CA 92101
(8 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Once you’ve foraged your gourmet picnic meal, take it to…
W. Date Street and Union Street, San Diego CA 92101
- Fill in your dessert sections with coffee and gelato at…
1602 State Street, San Diego, CA 92101
ICING ON THE DATE:
- When you walk by a flower vendor, buy a flower (or two or three) for your date.
- And, pay attention every time your date moans so you can nail a future birthday, anniversary, or make-up gift.
- Need some more convincing to go on this Little Italy Farmers Market date? Check THIS out.
- Attempting to park in Little Italy can induce moaning of the undesired variety. If you’re spot-less after one go around in the vicinity of the Mercato, head north on India Street. You should find one just north of Hawthorne Street, especially on or near Juniper Street. For more parking help, click HERE. Better yet…skip the parking and just Uber/Lyft it!
- If you’re bringing your four-legged best friend, let him/her blow off steam in the Washington Elementary School field (on W. Date Street), which transforms into an off-leash dog park on the weekends.