You’ll begin this date at a hidden classic American diner with cheap eats and a priceless view. Just outside is the trailhead for a 4.5 mile off-asphalt urban trek that will take you through Golden Hill and South Park, beside a golf course, through the Morley Sports Complex and hiking in Balboa Park until you end up right back where you started. Highlights include a hole-in-one view, several architectural gems, a couple of off-leash dog parks, stellar city views and, if you’re really lucky, the music of a thousand birds.
- WHERE: South/Balboa Park
- VIBE: Eat & Drink, Active
- INVESTMENT: $
- WHEN: Morning, Afternoon
- HOW LONG: 2-4 hours, 4-6 hours, 6+ hours
- MEAL: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch
- DRESS: Sporty, Grunge
- DOG-FRIENDLY: Yes (partial)
- Fuel up on classic diner fare and views at…
The 19th Hole (Tobey’s Diner)
2600 Golf Course Drive
San Diego, CA 92102
- Walk along Golf Course Drive toward South Park until you see the sign for Trail #22 on your left (just before 28th Street)
- Continue to follow the signs until you’re hiking in Balboa Park and end up back at…
Golden Hill Gateway Trail
2590-2596 Golden Hill Drive
San Diego, CA 92104
ICING ON THE DATE:
Bring a blanket and a mini-bottle of wine for a little mid-trek toast and chill.
- There are two confusing spots on the trail…1) Just after the first off-leash dog park, follow the signs for Hike #23 until you see the Hike #22 signs once again; and 2) walk straight through the second off-leash dog park toward the back right corner where you will once again be reunited with the Hike #22 sign.