Originally known as “El Ombligo” [“The Navel”], Barrio Logan is a vibrant neighborhood known for its rich Hispanic history and colorful murals. The old beach and pier may be gone, but a renaissance is definitely underway making this place an ideal destination for a date off San Diego’s beaten path. Begin with a tasty Salvadorian breakfast or brunch and discover the joy of “pupusas.” Afterwards, head to a tiny ice cream shop to fill in any stomach gaps, then wander over to the park to satisfy your soul.
- WHERE: Golden Hill/Barrio Logan
- VIBE: Eat & Drink, Learn, Shop
- INVESTMENT: $$
- WHEN: Morning, Afternoon
- HOW LONG: 0-2 hours, 2-4 hours
- MEAL: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert
- DRESS: Casual, Grunge
- DOG-FRIENDLY: No
- Begin at the home of those glorious pupusas…
2845 Imperial Avenue, San Diego, CA 92102
- Next stop is dessert at…
Tocumbo Ice Cream
1900 Main Street Ste 188-A, San Diego, CA 92113
- Once you’ve filled up your stomachs, fill up your souls while gazing at murals at…
Logan Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113
[at the base of the Coronado Bridge]
ICING ON THE DATE:
Bring a camera and have a blast snapping colorful pictures of each other in the park to keep as a date souvenir.
- While it’s best not to explore Barrio Logan at night, it really is a wonderful place when the sun is shining. As in any urban area, awareness is the key.
- Rumor has it that military personnel are not allowed to go to Chicano Park.
- Wanna impress your date? Learn more about the history of the park before you go.